frog's blog

Anuran, n. an amphibian of the order Salientia (formerly Anura or Batrachia), which includes the frogs and toads

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Keeping the Beat

I'll never forget when my elementary school music teacher told my parents that I had no rhythm. I've been working on that ever since. But even then, my homework was playful, dancing around the living room, moving my feet in time to the Commodores "Brick House."

Through Shaun & Ruby, I may have been redeeemed. I've seen Shaun keep the beat during drum circles at Pumpkin Hollow and with the Love Drums. Then, Friday afternoon, I saw Shaun march in the drumline with the John Overton High School Band. He definitely has it going on.

Then Saturday I got to see the showcase at Tucker Theater. The spirit of Pat Benatar rattled my ears as did most of the sparkling goth/punk/rock/pop ensembles of rock campers. Did the matrons of riot grrrl ever realize it would turn out like this? The Most Fun Part had the hundreds in Tucker Theater out of their seats, hands in the air. Of course I am biased, but Ruby's band was one of the best of the night. I've posted some snapshots from the evening here.

Having seen my daughter and "stepson" (I hate that word!) rock out over two consecutive days, I'm only sad that I can't be in Denver this Friday to see my other "stepson" Rockwave and his partner in musical crime Starla take the stage with The New Waveforms. But hopefully I will see them soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home